Sunday, September 7, 2008

Restaurant Reviews and the Little Madfish

Because I have been behind on my baking endeavors, I have decided to begin adding restaurant reviews. Hey, it's my blog, I can make those decisions, right? Right... And I live in the suburbs and rarely go to 5-star, classy restaurants, so if you're expecting to have heard of any of these places or fancy the idea that you might ever visit them, you're probably out of luck (unless you live in my area), and these reviews will have absolute no relevance to your life.

With that said, the last restaurant the hubby and I visited was Little Madfish.* It's a tiny restaurant in the ticky tacky 'burbs of San Francisco. We went for lunch on a weekend day, and it was pretty packed. We weren't sure if it was really that good, or if it was just the opening-week, curious-crowd bunch, but we decided to find out for ourselves. I tried the California roll, the mark of a true sushi afficionado (!), as the $2.75 price tag was irresistable, and the curry chicken (which also came with miso soup and salad). The soup, which I skipped, and roll came out in minutes. The roll was decent, but I've had better, and there was a bit of a weird taste to the crab. The salad dressing was sweet (but not too sweet!) with a sesame kick to it. I need to know what goes in this dressing.

The curry was pretty tastey. I really like Japanese curry. It's not as spicy as Indian curries but still flavorful, and the sauce is usuallly thick.** Anyway, they were pretty light-handed with the veggies, which was a bummer, as the chicken was a bit dry and not flavorful (the curry sauce was just poured over the chicken). I won't be running back to the restaurant any time soon, but if you're ever in the burbs and feel like Japanese that is just a stoplight off the freeway, this place is decent.



*I don't understand this name. Is madfish a type of fish or is mad a description of the fish which are mad because they're being slaughtered and rolled up in rice and seaweed? If the latter, then madfish should be two words.

**I really know nothing about curries; this is all based on personal experience and may not bare any resemblance to actual curry tastes or consistencies.


No comments: