Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Coconut Overload Cake

I was inspired by Ina Garten (another one of my favorites on Food Network) for this cake. She makes everything look ridiculously easy - something I have yet to master in the kitchen - and gave me the confidence to try my own. Alas, I did not have all the ingredients for her recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/coconut-cake-recipe/index.html), so I had to resort to a box of vanilla cake mix. No, it's not cheating; it's called semi-homemade (thanks, Sandra Lee).

Cake: So I borrowed a tip from Rachael Ray* (
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/quickie-coconut-cupcakes-recipe/index.html) and followed the directions on the box plus added 2 tablespoons of coconut extract before mixing it all up.

Frosting: I had a little help with the frosting as well. I used Betty Crocker's Whipped Fluffy White (how is this different from the Fluffy Vanilla?) and also added 2 tablespoons of coconut extract. I skimped on the frosting and only used one 12oz can, but it was definitely begging for more. And for the piece de resistance, I sprinkled the top of the cake with sweetened flaked coconut and pressed extra onto the sides.

Seems like coconut overload? Possibly. I'm not a huge fan of coconut, so I didn't actually try it, but my mom, who is, said it was delicious. Biased? No way :P

Thanks to the ladies of FN for the inspiration.


*I'm name-dropping like I know these people. I don't.


No comments: