Saturday, July 19, 2008

Vanilla Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting

Here's my first batch of non-box cupcakes:



Frosting: my husband actually made the ganache frosting with Scharffen Berger chocolate (70% cacao home baking bar)... a bit too bitter for my tastes but it made for some very pretty cupcakes, if I do say so myself :)

I used the dipping-upside-down-and-twisting motion to get the frosting on and ended up with the cute little peaks in the center. I topped a couple with a single M&M in the center (not pictured) which also turned out pretty cute.

Cupcakes: while browsing Amazon for Nigella Lawson (the goddess of all things edible), I came across a cute little book called "Hello, Cupcake!" (lo and behold, they have a website too
http://www.hellocupcakebook.com/ - I just found it myself). I'm not sure how Amazon sensed that I was in search of a cupcake baking detour, but they were right. The book is filled with tons of cupcake decorating ideas, none of which I have tried myself, but they look pretty doable, even for an amateur like myself.

Anyway, for the cupcakes themselves, I used their recipe for the vanilla cupcakes. They were pretty tastey, but dense. I made these about a month ago, so my memory may not be entirely accurate, but when it came to the butter and sugar creaming part, I don't think my butter was soft enough, and the two did not get the light and fluffy consistency I imagined. I wonder if that would have anything to do with the slightly heavy (but not unsavory) outcome.

Overall: I would say this batch was okay. I would try a different cupcake recipe again before going back to this one, and for the frosting, I would try the 62% cacao.

No comments: